Sunday, July 25, 2010

The San Diego Hip-Hop Hustle Interviews Northwest Hip-Hop Pioneer Mr. D.O.G.


Mr. D.O.G. is a northwest Icon and stands out as the successful representative chosen to bring the attention of the music industry to not only his home city of Tacoma but to the great northwest region as a whole.



sdhiphophustle.com: Thanks for taking the time out to speak to us. How’s everything going for you? 

Mr D.O.G.: It’s all love fam! Everything is active over here. Song features, interviews, performances, releasing several projects. Seems like there is never enough time in a day to catch up, and I’m not mad about it. Feel me? 
sdhiphophustle.com: What's the Hip-Hop scene like in Tacoma, Washington? 

Mr D.O.G.: Gritty. There is alot of great talent out here but between the violence and the lack of media coverage for the “home-town” music by the mainstream, its a challenge that the average artist finds hard to overcome. But if you can muscle past it, it’s active.
sdhiphophustle.com: And what is it that you do that makes you stand out as far as northwest talent? 

Mr D.O.G.: Simply put, I am the city fam! I’m in the streets. I’m in the corporate structure. I’m a family man. I talk to everyone’s issues and thoughts. I put it all in a crafty manner and more importantly I make sure it crosses your path so that you have access to it. After all, I can’t have great music to you if you have never heard it or of it. 
sdhiphophustle.com: Good point. So growing up, who influenced you musically? 

Mr D.O.G.: Quite a few people. I’m a sponge, so I take data in from every angle but right off top I would have to say Quincy Jones, KRS-1, Eric B & Rahkim, NWA, X-Clan, Tupac, E-40, Above the Law, and Dr. Dre
sdhiphophustle.com: Quincy Jones? That’s different. Never had a rapper tell me a producer of R&B was there influence. Why Quincy Jones? 

Mr D.O.G.: I was already diggin his music and hustle from the Thriller Days and Secret Garden. Then I read the man’s auto-biography. It was a true-inspiration. Would make these Pepsi’s really understand what real hustle is.
sdhiphophustle.com: Pepsi's? 

Mr D.O.G.: Yeah. These new generation cats. Don’t worry bout nothing I’ma upgrade ya game mayne. 
sdhiphophustle.com: How would you compare West Coast Hip-Hop in 2010 to what it was back when you first got into the game?

Mr D.O.G.: When I first got in the game, NWA was the bizness! Everything that was anything was West Coast. Tupac, NWA, D.O.C., Above the Law, Ice Cube, etc. Now it seems like the West can’t get the time of day unless the act has already went platinum, creating a dance or trying to sound like another region, e.g. (East Coast or Dirty South)
sdhiphophustle.com: So where do you fit since you are technically part of both eras? 

Mr D.O.G.: I’m definitely a throw-back. I represent that G-Funk. Make mine extra stanky, smell that! I don’t do the mohawks, skinny jeans, pink, jerking, etc. but I remain relevant. I keep it 100 and both the young and the more mature rock out with me. Feel me?
sdhiphophustle.com: I understand you started a label called "Bow Wow Records", could you give those who may not know of your label a little history? 

Mr D.O.G.: Bow Wow Records has been around for over a decade and released several projects. The label has won a few pieces of hardware through various award conventions including the “Seattle Mayor’s Award for Musical Excellence”. We’ve done shows nationwide and internationally. We’ve put out albums for both Mac Money and Big Squeeze as well as a compilation and mixtape. And Bow Wow Records is everywhere this summer. Don’t miss the show when it hits your town!
sdhiphophustle.com: Do you have any projects in the works? 

Mr D.O.G.: Already! “Streets of the Tac,” my 4th solo project, will hit the pavement on August 24th. This album is bananas! It features Snoop DoggCrooked I, Mistah FAB, Kokane, Cool Nutz, Leezy Soprano, Certified, Luni Coleone, Key Loom, Matt Blaque, Have Not, Combat, Skuntdunana, and Von O.P. I’m wrapping up two videos, “She’s100” & “Mess w/Cuzz” as we speak. I’m also putting together that AREA253 mixtape which is a collective of NW front runners collabing with the Boss of the Tac. 
sdhiphophustle.com: That’s alot of features. Sounds hot! What about the production? Who did you work with on that end? 

Mr D.O.G.: A couple cats. Klypso (from the Aftermath production/engineering team), DJRoc Phella, Kuddie Fresh, FunkDaddy, Eugenius, & West Coast Stone.
sdhiphophustle.com: As a solo artist, who have you worked with in the past? 

Mr D.O.G.: They won’t all fit in this interview, feel me. But just to name a few Snoop Dogg, E40, Crooked I, Keak Sneak, Ras KassC-BoYukmouthB-Legit, Duna, Mistah FAB, T-Nutty, Mac & AK, Ballin A$$ Dame, Luni Coleone, B.A. & Agerman (formerly of 3 x Krazy), Mississippi, and the list goes on.
sdhiphophustle.com: What is the most important lesson you’ve learned over the course of your career?    

Mr D.O.G.: That you can never work too hard for your dreams. There your dreams and noone else wants them for you like you. 
sdhiphophustle.com: Do you have advice for any young rappers who are trying to get in the game and might be reading this? 

Mr D.O.G.: Yeah put some actual quality and effort into your projects. You only get one chance to make a first impression. And the hustle begins not ends once you press your cd, get distribution etc. Every time a door opens you have to grind harder.
sdhiphophustle.com: Any last words, plugs, or shout outs before I let you go? 

Mr D.O.G.: Yeah, shout out to my homie Big Squeeze. My ninja always got my back. For errybody else make sure you cop the new album, “Streets of the Tac”Aug. 24th and stay locked with “The Homie from Up North” via the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment