Thursday, May 27, 2010

The San Diego Hip-Hop Hustle Interviews Yung Sipp


sdhiphophustle.com: Thanks for your time fam! How’s everything going for you so far?

Yung Sipp: I preciate your time interviewing me. Things are good. Promoting the album “All or Nothin” and getting ready for upcoming projects and shows.

sdhiphophustle.com: I see that you’re not originally from San Diego; can you tell us where you’re from and what bought you out here?

Yung Sipp: I’m originally from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I got stationed in San Diego when I was in the marines and I fell in love with the city and never left.

sdhiphophustle.com: How would you compare your hometown’s hip-hop scene to ours?
Yung Sipp: It’s similar in a lot of different aspects. In Daygo and The Sipp it takes grinding and dedication to get anywhere in this music biz. Only difference is the sound of the music.

sdhiphophustle.com: Can you tell us about your latest project?

Yung Sipp: It’s called All or Nothin. I named it that because either I put my all into something or nothing at all. It’s my 1st solo project so it’s special for me.

sdhiphophustle.com: What separates you from other artists?

Yung Sipp: My mindset. I haven’t lived a “normal” life.  I’m a versatile artist. I can give it to you grimy, on an R&B tip, or on a lyrically slick level. I don’t think many artists can transition from 1 style of music to another; they tend to stick to a comfort zone. I’ve been able to transition from the South to the West Coast and still get respect from coast to coast.

sdhiphophustle.com: Do you have a ritual you do to get in the right frame of mind to make music?

Yung Sipp: It’s not really a ritual; I just fuse myself with the music and let it come out on the track. I try not to force records. If I’m not feeling it and it don’t come natural then I leave it alone.

sdhiphophustle.com: Who or what influenced your style?

Yung Sipp: I feel like I have my own style, that’s what makes Yung Sipp who he is. My musical influence ranges from Outkast, UGK, Lil Wayne, Snoop, Scarface, Too Short, Mos Def and Lil Boosie. Just to name a few. I got a wide range of music I’m influenced by.

sdhiphophustle.com: What are your thoughts on the current state of the rap game?

Yung Sipp: I think the game is at an all time high right now. It’s a lot of music that’s changing the game and it’s a lot of music that I don’t mess with but to each its own. I don’t bash artist that I don’t feel like are true to the rap game because without them then real hip hop artist wouldn’t stand out and be as special to the game as they are. I like the fake artist because they make real artist like us look that much better. They’re like haters, when you got them that mean you doing something right.

sdhiphophustle.com: Who would you like to work with in the future?

Yung Sipp: I’m willing to work with pretty much anybody as long as we share the same passion for music. If we both on the same page when it comes to the record then we can get it in. I want to start venturing into a different sound though, I want to challenge myself and push it to the edge of insanity.

sdhiphophustle.com: What was the last CD you bumped in the whip?

Yung Sipp: I’m feeling that Young Jeezy “Trap or Die 2” and Wiz Khalifa “Kush and Orange Juice”.

sdhiphophustle.com: Anything you want to say to all the Yung Sipp supporters reading this?

Yung Sipp: I appreciate all the love and support. That’s what makes me go at this music so hard. It’s nothing hearing somebody tell me “That 501’s go” or “Sipp you hot” that’s a reward every time I hear that. Keep rocking with me and I’ll keep rocking for yall!



Yung Sipp - "501 Jeans"

No comments:

Post a Comment