Thursday, June 10, 2010

The San Diego Hip-Hop Hustle Interviews Jimmy Powers


Jimmy Power's debut album "Cali-Foreigner" is available NOW!


sdhiphophustle.com: Where are you originally from and what bought you to San Diego?


Jimmy Powers: I am from all over…most of my growing up was in Massachusetts, but I lived in Texas for 8 years before I was 10….then I joined the military when I was 18 and ended up in San Diego. I fulfilled my enlistment in 2004, and stayed in SD, cause I wasn’t done here yet.

sdhiphophustle.com: What kind of music did you listen to growing up?

Jimmy Powers: Everything, literally everything. Duran Duran, Firehouse, Ghetto Boys, Wu-Tang, Nas, UGK, Bone Thugs, Prince, Bon Jovi…literally everything, my ears started to turn towards the boom bap hip hop sound when I was in high school, and I really liked the aspect of finding new music on my own , rather than being spoon fed it by the corporations, so right about the time Rawkus records was popping off is when I was really searching for new MC’s.

sdhiphophustle.com: So when did you first start rapping?


Jimmy Powers: I could always rap, but I didn’t pick up a pen until I was 15, and then I really didn’t start taking myself seriously as an MC until I turned 23 or 24. I enjoyed listening to music more than creating it, up until the point where I realized I was a lot more talented that I thought.

sdhiphophustle.com: Can you tell us about your new album, “Cali-Foreigner”?

Jimmy Powers: Cali-Foreigner is my introduction to the world, a little bit of history, a little bit of insight and a little bit of my future. I didn’t want to stray away from my Boston roots yet, but I also didn’t want people to think that I was just shoving it down their throats. The west coast is culturally a completely different country than the east coast,  and I realized that there was a lot of content involved in that concept. So I rode with it, it worked out pretty well too. I spent 7 weeks on the college radio hip hop charts, peeking out a number 4 for two weeks.

sdhiphophustle.com: For those who don’t know, can you explain the term “Cali-Foreigner” and why you choose that name for your album?

Jimmy Powers: I am the “Cali-Foreigner”. A dude with an East Coast mentality trying to navigate the West Coast scene without stepping on any toes, and gaining allies to let them know I ain’t trying to take anything from anybody, I am just being me…I am here now though, I have been a resident of SD for 9 years, I just needed to get the album out of my system.

sdhiphophustle.com: Who are some artists that you would like to work with in the future?

Jimmy Powers: That’s a tough question. Redman is probably one of my favorite all around MC’s so I am going to have to go with Reggie Nobel on this one. There honestly isn’t too many people that are blowing my mind musically at the moment.
  
sdhiphophustle.com: A lot of people think that Hip-Hop is a dying art form. What is your opinion on the state of hip-hop as it is today?

Jimmy Powers: It’s a dying art form on a large scale, it’s not worth big money anymore, which is the way the music industry has swayed, towards the money, and the music industry itself is a sinking ship. Did you know that the # 9 slot on the Billboard 200 for this week is in that spot with only 20,000 scanned? That’s where the music industry is going, and “Traditional Hip Hop” as a major influence in culture is following with it, I don’t think the art form or culture itself is dead, but it’s hard to say that things are ever going to go back to the way they were.

sdhiphophustle.com: When it’s all said and done, what do you hope to have accomplished in this game?

Jimmy Powers: Released a critically acclaimed record, touched a few people with my words, bridged the gap in the divided SD scene, whether it be between backpackers and gangsters, the media and the entire scene…etc. I just want to be respected and recognized for my hard work, just like most. I don’t need much more than that, nor do I expect it.  

sdhiphophustle.com: Where can people go to learn more about Jimmy Powers?

Jimmy Powers: www.myspace.com/jpowers or check me out on facebook, that is a lot more personal. I don’t know my URL for that, I just check that shit on my phone hahaha.

sdhiphophustle.com: Any last words for the folks reading this interview?

Jimmy Powers: Don’t rap to impress other rappers, not liking something because everyone else does is just as corny as liking something because everyone else does. Just because you have money, doesn’t mean you have class. I will take intelligence over strength in any match up. Be tolerant to things you don’t understand, and you can learn things you never thought were possible. Much respect to my  2012 Dynasty extended family-Mr. Ridley, Bazerk, Orko, Black Mikey, 3ntra-P, Blame One, DJ Sinn…Cop my album so I can record another one…haha…

Mr. Ridley x Black Mikey- Killafornia Infection COMING SOON!



No comments:

Post a Comment